Corpses of kidnapped butchers recovered in Ondo

The police has recovered corpses of two out of three butchers who were kidnapped in Ala town, Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State. 


The corpses were found in a bush. It was gathered that the killing was carried out after four butchers were deceived by the assailants to come and buy cows at Ala forest.


Nasiru Jamiu, the only surviving butcher who recounted how the incident occurred, said; 


“The people that used to sell cows to my boss called him to come and buy cows. Though they had been selling cows to him before, it has been long before they had any transaction.

‘We first went to the place on Saturday but the place was a long journey and my boss asked us to come back that he did not feel like going. The guy kept disturbing him and convinced him that they would bring the cows to a nearby place.

“So when he was called yesterday, they told us that some people would come and meet us at Ala town before we would proceed to where the cows were kept.

“On getting to Ala, they took us to where the cows were and asked us to park our vehicles so that they could move the cows to the main road. They entered into the bush while four of us waited beside the vehicle. Surprisingly, they returned with guns and started shooting into the air. My boss was kidnapped.

“Three of us left tried to run for our lives but as I was macheted, I fell and pretended as if I was dead. When I later realised no one was there again, I stood up and started running.”


Jamiu, who is now receiving treatment at a hospital in Akure, said he was sure his boss was kidnapped but he couldn’t say same about the others.


Ondo Police spokesperson, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami said efforts are ongoing to rescue the remaining butcher. 


Odunlami said; 


“Two of the three butchers have been killed.

“Their bodies were found in Tafa camp within the Ala forest reserve by our men while searching and combing the bush after we were alerted about the abduction.

“The butcher that was macheted on his face was found groaning in pain at the camp when police raced to the scene.

“The victim was rushed to general hospital for treatment and later taking to police hospital Akure for further treatment and he is recuperating.”