The US has said no American troops or officials will be held accountable for a military drone strike that killed 10 innocent people in Afghanistan in August.
The attack took place during the final days of the frantic US-led evacuation of Kabul after the Taliban seized control of the government.
The drone strike killed an aid worker and nine members of his family, including seven children after US intelligence believed the aid worker’s car was linked to ISIS-K, a local branch of Islamic State.
But after the strike, and following an investigation by the New York Times, it was found that the US didnt kill any terrorist but rather an innocent family. The strike happened days after a suicide bomber killed up to 170 civilians and 13 US troops outside Kabul airport
US Central Command’s General Kenneth McKenzie described the strike on 29 August as a “tragic mistake”.
A high-level internal review published in November, concluded that that there was no need for disciplinary action, since no law had been broken, and there was no evidence of misconduct or negligence.
The review was approved on Monday, December 13 by Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin.
US forces had targeted a car belonging to aid worker Zamairi Ahmadi, and the strike was launched as he pulled into the driveway of his home, 3km (1.8 miles) from the airport.
The vehicle had been seen at a compound associated with ISIS-K, according to the US, and its movements aligned with other intelligence about the terror group’s plans for another attack.
The explosion set off a secondary blast, which US officials initially said was proof that the car was indeed carrying explosives. However, an investigation found it was most likely caused by a propane tank in the driveway.