There is uncertainty over the Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Cameroon next month, due to the country’s readiness to host it.
This is as Confederation of African Football (CAF) president, Patrice Motsepe, flew into Yaounde on Monday for talks.
On Sunday, a CAF executive committee meeting made the decision to go ahead with the 24-team event only if Motsepe was able to secure guarantees from Cameroon over its readiness.
Several members of the committee called for the tournament to be postponed, insiders told Reuters, but the majority voted for Motsepe to make an emergency trip to engage with the Cameroon government.
Concerns have been voiced over a lack of organisation, incomplete building work and the threat of coronavirus outbreaks among the large number of players and staff set to descend on the under-resourced country in the next few weeks.
“We are clear in terms of our commitment to make the AFCON a success in Cameroon, and I’m confident after our meetings today and tomorrow we can come out of here and give Africa and the world the confidence,” Motsepe told reporters in Yaounde on Monday.
Last week, CAF sent its general secretary Veron Mosengo-Omba to urge the speedy completion of building work at the Olembe Stadium in Yaounde, scheduled to host the opening game on Jan. 9 and the final on Feb. 6.