Granddad mourns as candle fire kills eight-year-old Enugu girl

Tragedy struck at Ugwuaji community in the Enugu South Local Government Area of Enugu State as an eight-year-old girl identified as Ifunanya was killed in a fire.

The incident which occurred on Wednesday also destroyed property worth millions of naira.

Community sources told Punch correspondent that the little girl was sleeping in her room when the fire started, which was said to have been caused by candle light.

The grandfather of the deceased and owner of the house, Lazarus Anya-Anike, told our correspondent that the fire was caused by candlelight one of his grandchildren preparing for secondary school common entrance examination used for reading.

He said, “My granddaughter, Ifunanya, who lost her life in the incident, was inside the room sleeping while other children fled when the fire started and they shouted for help as it was beyond their control. The fire was put out by the intervention of firefighters. Their intervention helped to stop the fire from razing the entire building.”

He appealed to the state government and individuals to come to his family’s aid as the fire destroyed his family belongings.

The Enugu State Chief Fire Officer, Okwudili Ohaa, described the incident as unfortunate and warned residents to always be safety conscious.

Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates